Sumitomo SHI FW (SFW) is pleased to announce that it has signed a contract for the delivery of two CapsolGo® carbon capture demonstration campaigns to be executed at SFW’s client base in the Nordics.
The campaigns, spanning a combined duration of 8 months, are set to take place at an Energy from Waste (EfW) plant and a Biomass to energy plant.
SFW’s collaboration with Capsol began in December 2022, with the signing of a cooperation agreement aimed at developing and delivering standardized carbon capture plants for Energy from Waste (EfW) and biomass-fueled combined heat and power (CHP) facilities based on Capsol's technology.
The CapsolGo® campaigns play a pivotal role in generating valuable data for industrial emitters, assisting them in making informed investment decisions. Simultaneously, they provide invaluable insights to SFW and Capsol as the companies work together to optimize and standardize full-scale carbon capture plants, thus reducing cost and delivery time.
- By partnering with Capsol, SFW has expanded its portfolio of carbon capture solutions and significantly broadened its serviceable market. What makes Capsol’s solution particularly attractive is the low energy use, the use of a low-cost and benign solvent, and the possible thermal heat export from the capture plant to a district heating network, said Tomas Harju-Jeanty, CEO at Sumitomo SHI FW on the partnership.
- This agreement represents an important commercial milestone of our collaboration with SFW and is in line with our strategy to scale by partnerships. Through the collaboration with SFW we add significant drive to market, sell and deliver Capsol’s technologies, ultimately helping us achieve our vision of accelerating the world’s transition to a carbon negative future, commented Jan Kielland, CEO of Capsol Technologies.
The procurement and construction process of the CapsolGo® unit is already underway, set to be deployed in Q2/2024.
SFW, as part of the Japanese Sumitomo Heavy Industries Group, has a wide and strong presence in the global energy, waste, and process industries. With 1,800 employees spread across 20 locations in 14 countries, SFW has execution and service hubs in Europe, Asia, and North America, along with manufacturing facilities in China, Poland, Thailand, Finland, and Sweden. SFW is committed to driving innovation in the industry and looks forward to the positive outcomes of the collaboration with Capsol Technologies.
For more information, please contact
- CapsolGo® demonstration projects are designed to provide emitters with carbon capture data using Capsol’s HPC-based process on their specific plants, supporting accelerated decision processes towards full-scale carbon capture.
- A standard CapsolGo® demonstration campaign is offered on a rental basis, typically has a duration of six months, and includes transportation, installation, operation, and testing services.
- Capsol’s HPC-based process is using potassium carbonate as the CO2 solvent, a process which is well-documented and used in more than 750 plants globally in multiple industries. A patented energy re-circulation process offers low capture cost and the flexibility to monetise heat and electricity.
About Sumitomo SHI FW
Sumitomo SHI FW (SFW) is a global provider of solutions and services that drive the decarbonization of energy. Our solutions include energy from biomass and waste, long duration energy storage, recycling of waste to valuable end products, carbon capture, flue gas cleaning, waste heat boilers, as well as related services to digitalize, optimize, and decarbonize assets that we deliver to the global power and industrial markets.
We strive to provide sustainable energy solutions for customers in a wide range of industries including energy, waste, chemicals, metal, sustainable fuels, cement and pulp and paper. SFW’s excellence in delivering projects worldwide rely on our 1,800 talented people, across 20 locations in 14 countries, with deep know-how and experience in the industry.
Powering a decarbonized world for everyone. For more information, please visit Sumitomo SHI FW at shi-fw.com.
About Capsol Technologies
Capsol Technologies is a carbon capture technology provider with a goal to accelerate the transition to a carbon-negative future. The company’s energy-efficient, cost-competitive and environmentally friendly solutions are licensed out either directly to customers or through industrial partners globally. Key segments include cement, biomass, energy-from-waste, power generation and large industrial. Capsol is targeting significant long-term value creation with a scalable model with an ambition of 5-10% technology licensing market share in 2030, EUR 7-12 in licensing revenue per tonnes installed capacity and 40-60% pre-tax profit margin. Capsol Technologies is listed on Euronext Growth Oslo, Norway (ticker: CAPSL). For more information visit capsoltechnologies.com.