Reliability and flexibility – and outstanding environmental performance
Our customers have a huge role to play in the drive to net-zero, so they’re looking to make the most of resources they have available. Bubbling Fluidized Bed (BFB) technology can make a powerful contribution.
It’s a reliable solution for recovering energy from difficult fuels, like residual biomass and industrial wastes. BFB boilers can handle a wide range of high-moisture and high-ash fuels with low emissions and high operational flexibility.
This technology works well for combined heat and power, industrial steam, power and district heating applications. And because of its operational flexibility, BFB boilers can help balance variable renewable energy generation, like solar PV and wind, while providing cost-effective back-up power and heating.
Reliable and efficient operation
- On average, our BFB boilers achieve 99% reliability, even with a wide range of fuel mixes (from forest residues to sludge, short rotation coppice, demolition wood, and refuse-derived fuels).
- State-of-the-art steam parameters – with temperatures up to 540°C and pressures up to 145 bar – ensure high plant efficiency in addition to boiler efficiency.
- Moderate auxiliary power consumption keeps operating costs down.
- Maintenance costs are lower than for other boiler technologies.
- BFB technology allows power producers use local and readily available fuels involving shorter transportation distances.
- Multiple fuel sources of lower heat content from different biogenic and recycled origin may be combusted safely with emission control equipment. Our fuel expertise includes wood-based biomass (e.g. bark, chips, sawdust), agricultural biomass (e.g. straw, up to 100% MCR olive waste, rice husk), and recycled fuels (e.g. recycled fiber rejects, sludge, refuse-derived fuels, demolition wood).
- Excellent load-following capabilities enable BFBs to accommodate rapid variations in the steam generation requirements. That means plant operators can quickly adjust the steam production according to the process, grid, or district.
Outstanding environmental performance
- Multiple levels of secondary air combined with reduced combustion temperature minimizes NOx formation.
- High gas residence time allows BFB boilers to fulfil the requirements in waste firing, reaching the lowest dioxin emissions levels.
- Using project-specific process modelling and design for every boiler results in exceptionally low CO emissions and unburned carbon losses.
Using multiple fuels is essential in today’s market because fuel prices and availability are unpredictable. Our customers benefit as BFB technology offers fuel flexibility that unlocks the value of waste streams by tolerating daily variation in both quality and volume.
Our BFB technology has a four-decade-long history of reliable operation, even with the most difficult fuels. We’re continuing to develop standardized designs that means competitive costs and footprint. Low emissions are another key benefit as BFB technology meets the most stringent environmental standards – benefiting customers and the wider population.